For instance, if you want to host your website on a VPS hosting, but you are a beginner and don’t have the technical knowledge to configure and manage the server, you would sign up for Managed VPS hosting and let the hosting provider handle the management tasks for you.
What is Managed Hosting?
Managed hosting is a hosting service model in which the hosting provider takes care of the configuration, customization, and management of the server on behalf of the client.
The provider handles tasks such as server maintenance, security updates, and backups, and offers customer support.
This allows you as their client to focus on your website or business and get the benefits of server maintenance and better performance although you are a beginner with no background skills.
Managed vs. Unmanaged Hosting
Here is a short comparison between Managed and Unmanaged hosting to better understand the differences between them:
- Managed: Managed by the hosting provider.
- Unmanaged: The web host will give you the server solution and you are responsible for the server maintenance and configuration.
- Managed: Perfect for those who might not have the technical expertise or time to manage server-side issues.
- Unmanaged: Ideal for tech-savvy users who want to have control over every aspect of their server.
- :Managed: Hosting providers handle security protocols, backups, and updates.
- Unmanaged: The responsibility of security, updates, and backups falls on you.
- Managed: More expensive due to the added services and expert management.
- Unmanaged: Cheaper since you’re not paying for any management services.
Faces of Managed Hosting
Managed hosting is not restricted to a single type of hosting, it can be found in many types, including:
- Managed WordPress Hosting: Optimized for WordPress software. The best provider is Hostinger starting at $2.99/month.
- Managed VPS Hosting: Dedicated resources in a shared physical server. The best provider is A2 Hosting starting at $39.99/month.
- Managed Cloud Hosting: The website draws resources from multiple servers. The best provider is Cloudways starting at $11/month.
- Managed Dedicated Hosting: An entire server dedicated to your website. The best provider is Liquid Web starting at $99/month.
Who Should Use Managed Hosting?
- Beginners: If you’re new to the web world, and want a website but don’t have the technical knowledge to maintain it, it is the perfect fit for you.
- Business Owners: Time is money. To ensure that their website is handled with great support, leaving them free to focus on business.
- Sites with Specific Needs: Websites that use WordPress can benefit from the security, performance, and speed optimization of the Managed WordPress hosting.
- Sites with High Traffic: Any technical or performance issues can have serious consequences, which are less likely to happen in managed hosting.
Advantages of Managed Hosting
- Peace of Mind: You don’t need to worry about server maintenance and performance, because the web host handles any issues.
- Better Security: Advanced security protocols and malware scans to protect your website.
- Expert Support: While you don’t usually find support on Unmanaged hosting, with managed hosting, you can have access to 24/7 expert support ready to assist you with any server or website issues.
Disadvantages of Managed Hosting
- Cost: The management and support add extra cost to the actual server resources cost.
- Less Control: You might have limited control over server configurations or software installations.
Managed hosting is a great solution for those who need to host their websites and apps on more advanced and better hosting choices but don’t have the knowledge to do it by themselves.
The web host is responsible for maintaining and configuring the server and delivering the hosting solution in a user-friendly interface.
This adds extra cost to the total cost of the server rent. However, in some cases when you need better hosting for your business, it is worth it.
How To Choose The Best Web Hosting Service?
What to Look For in a Web Hosting Service?
How Do Website Hosting Services Work?
Pros and Cons of Free Web Hosting
How Much Does Website Hosting Cost?
Shared hosting vs. VPS hosting
How Does Web Hosting Affect Website Performance and Speed?