Shared hosting is the most popular hosting type because it’s the cheapest and beginner-friendly option. This guide will help you understand shared hosting and decide if it’s right for you.
What is Shared Hosting?
Shared hosting is a type of web hosting where multiple websites are hosted on a single server. The server resources “RAM, storage, etc” are shared between the websites inside it.
Shared hosting is the cheapest option because all websites on the server also split the cost between them. However, this comes with some limitations which we will discuss later.
Read What is VPS hosting?
How Does Shared Hosting Work?
Imagine you’re sharing a big apartment with your friends, you all share the resources and rent of the apartment.
Shared hosting works in a similar way, your website is on a big server with other websites and sharing the same resources.
What is Shared Hosting Best For?
Shared hosting is best for:
- Beginners who don’t know much about web hosting.3
- Those who are on a budget and want to keep costs low.
- Brand new and small websites with low to medium traffic.
- One-page/small online stores.
- Small blogs and business websites.
Advantages of Shared Hosting
- Cost-effective: It’s the cheapest hosting option since all website owners share the server cost between them.
- Easy to use: Shared Hosting providers offer user-friendly control panels that make it easy to set up and manage a website.
- Beginner-friendly: Fully managed service, which means that the hosting provider takes care of all the technical aspects of running the server.
- Great customer support: If you faced any issue regarding your web hosting or websites, there will always be customer support.
Disadvantages of Shared Hosting
- Slow websites: Websites hosted on shared hosting are usually slower than VPS and other hosting types.
- Traffic increases in other websites can negatively impact your website’s effectiveness. Because they may consume your server resources as they are all on the same server.
- Lack of security: Because multiple websites are hosted on the same server, a cyber attack on one website can potentially compromise the security of all the other websites on the server.
- Limited control: Shared hosting plans often have certain limitations and restrictions, such as the types of scripts and software that can be installed.
- Limited customizability: You are limited to the features and options the hosting provider provides. This can make it difficult to customize your own server website to meet your specific needs.
Best Shared Hosting Service Providers
- Hostinger: It’s the best Shared hosting overall.
- DreamHost: Their uptime is stunning.
- A2 Hosting: The fastest shared hosting servers.