Managed hosting is when the service provider takes care of the server hosting for you. On the other hand, Unmanaged hosting is when the provider gives you the hosting solution and you are responsible for doing all the management approaches.
What is Unmanaged Hosting?
Unmanaged hosting is a web hosting solution where the hosting provider provides the user with the hosting solution and its resources based on his requirements such as server space, bandwidth, and the necessary hardware, and the user is responsible for maintaining, configuring, optimizing, and securing the server.
This is not a beginner-friendly option, it requires technical knowledge to configure the server and maintain it in the long run, unless you are willing to learn the process.
You gotta have some technical background, or hire a developer to do the work. Otherwise, the Managed hosting may be a great choice for you, even though it’s more expensive than the Unmanaged hosting.
Managed vs. Unmanaged Hosting
Managed hosting is maintained, secured, and updated by the hosting provider. Thus, a hassle-free experience and focuses on creating content, but it’s more expensive. It’s ideal for those without technical expertise.
Managed hosting types:
- Shared Hosting: The Best Provider is Hostinger. Starting at $1.99/month.
- WordPress Hosting: The Best Provider is Hostinger. Starting at $2.99/month.
- Managed VPS Hosting: The Best Provider is A2 Hosting. Starting at $39.99/month.
- Managed Cloud Hosting: The Best Provider is Cloudways. Starting at $11/month.
- Managed Dedicated Hosting: The Best Provider is Liquid Web. Starting at $99/month.
Unmanaged hosting offers more flexibility and cost savings. However, the responsibility of setting up, maintaining, and safeguarding the space falls on the user’s shoulders. It’s best for big businesses and tech-savvy developers.
Unmanaged hosting types:
- VPS Hosting: The Best Provider is A2 Hosting. Starting at $2.99/month.
- Cloud Hosting: The Best Provider is DigitalOcean. Starting at $4/month.
- Dedicated Hosting: The Best Provider is Hetzner. Starting at €44.39/month.
Who Should Consider Unmanaged Hosting?
- Developers: Those familiar with server management and in need of server customization.
- Businesses with Specific Needs: If standard hosting doesn’t fill in the requirements of your website.
- On a Budget: For those who are on a tight budget and willing to learn how to maintain and configure their own servers.
Benefits of Unmanaged Hosting
- You get full control over the server environment to install the OS and Apps you want.
- Cheaper than its managed hosting since the hosting provider isn’t offering additional services.
- Allows you for full server configuration to meet your app requirements.
- Flexible when it comes to installing apps and tools, and choosing server resources.
Drawbacks of Unmanaged Hosting
- Requires technical expertise.
- Maintaining the server takes time.
- Lack of features that you can find in the Managed hosting.
- Most unmanaged hosts don’t offer support for server issues. Some offer assistance at a cost
Unmanaged hosting isn’t beginner-friendly. However, in some cases, it’s a better choice even for beginners.
It offers full control over your server, and the ability to edit, tweak, and customize your server, and it’s cheap compared to managed hosting.
If you find these advantages are what you want, then unmanaged hosting could be the path for you. Otherwise, the managed hosting might be more your speed.